Monday, March 27, 2006

Buy the Book

A few weeks ago, I gave a tentative endorsement of Christopher Seitz's commenrary on Isaiah 1-39, based on having read the first few chapters. Now, having finished reading the whole thing, I must change my tentative endorsement to an outright mandate. Buy this book!

Seitz's commentary did for me the best thing that a Biblical commentary possibly could do. It made me love the book of Isaiah more than I already did (which is quite a trick given how much I already loved Isaiah). His exposition of the larger literary structure of the book and the way he highlights the theological theme of the hope for a righteous king was simply outstanding. It makes me look at Isaiah with fresh eyes and stand in awe of its sheer beauty.

Even if you haven't been thinking about reading a commentary on Isaiah, give this book a try.

No comments: