Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Extended Music Meme

This meme comes by way of Lutherpunk and Here I Stand. It'll mostly confirm how boringly conventional I am. Oh well....

1. Of all the bands/artists in your cd/record collection, which one do you own the most albums by?

Hmmm.... I'm guessing it's either Led Zeppelin or Nine Inch Nails. I went through phases with both of them where I was buying all their stuff, but my Zeppelin albums seem to have a habit of disappearing, so it's probably NIN.


2. What was the last song you listened to?

Ohio by Neil Young


3. What's in your record/cd player right now?

Physical media is so retro. I'm pretty sure there's no CD in my CD player right now. I'm listening to a classic rock mix on my (non-iPod) digital music player.


4. What song would you say sums you up?

I'd be pretty shallow if I could be summed up by a single song, wouldn't I? But just to play along, I'll say Piano Man by Billy Joel with the caveat that I'm one of the secondary characters in the bar, not the piano man. I'm the not-mentioned software-engineering theologian.


5. What's your favorite local band?

I don't really follow the local scene, which is probably a shame because it seems to be quite active. Is Quarterflash still a band? They're from here.


6. What was the last show you attended?

You know, it's been a few years. I went to see Fuel at the Roseland with my nephew. That's probably the last show I saw.


7. What was the greatest show you've ever been to?

Way back in the dark ages I saw Pantera open for Wrathchild at Hammerjacks. Given that there's a good chance you don't know who Wrathchild is, you might be able to imagine what kind of a surprise this was. Pantera rocked!


8. What's the worst band you've ever seen in concert?

Also in the dark ages, I went to see Dirty Looks at the Hagerstown Speedway and L.A. Guns was there too. L.A. Guns! Couldn't be helped. I wanted to see Dirty Looks.


9. What band do you love musically but hate the members of?

I don't really pay much attention to musicians personal lives. Lutherpunk said Jane's Addiction, and I'd have to agree there except I would pin the blame on Perry Ferrel. The guy's just creepy.


11. What show are you looking forward to?

This question really showed me how old I am. I meant to go see the Violent Femmes at the state fair, but I just checked and it was last weekend. Maybe I'll go this weekend to see Steve Miller Band. Yep, I'm officially old.


12. What is your favorite band shirt?

I think the only concert shirt I currently own is Beethoven. Yes, the composer.

But just for laughs, check out this circa 1993 picture of me in my then favorite band shirt.



13. What musician would you like to hang out with for a day?

I would say John Fahey, but he died a few years ago, so he's probably not as interesting as he once was.

I wouldn't mind talking to Bono. I'd like to know how he can wear those goofy sunglasses all the time and still get people to take him seriously.


14. What musician would you like to be in love with for a day?

I'm not touching that one. My wife might read this. Plus, I really don't have anyone in mind.


15. Metal question: Jeans and Leather vs. Cracker Jack clothes?

What are Cracker Jack clothes?


16. Sabbath or solo Ozzy?

Definitely Sabbath, but only during the time when Ozzy was with them.


17. Commodores or solo Lionel Ritchie?

Let's say neither.


18. Punk rock, hip hop or heavy metal?

Metal


19. Doesn't Primus suck?

Primus? Are they still around? How old is this meme?


20. Name 4 flawless albums:

I'm not of the opinion that there are a lot of flawless albums. These four are in the running:

Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd
Electric by The Cult
Dirt by Alice in Chains
Nebraska by Bruce Springsteen


21. Did you know that filling out this survey makes you a music geek?

There are so many things that make me a geek....


22. What was the greatest decade for music?

1820's -- simply because of Beethoven's Ninth Symphony


23. How many music-related videos/dvds do you own?

Just a few, and they're all in a box in the garage except for Pink Floyd's The Wall.


24. Do you like Journey?

I was at a Mariners game last year when some really drunk guy came up and tried to get me to sing "Lights" with him. He said I looked like I'd like Journey. I was deeply offended.


25. Don't try to pretend you don't!

OK, I could have sung along with the drunk guy if I had been so inclined.


26. What is your favorite movie soundtrack?

Godspell. I can't stand the movie itself, but I love the soundtrack.

The O Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack is also pretty good.


27. What was your last musical 'phase' before you wised up?

I'm not sure I have wised up yet. I'll let you know.


28. What's the crappiest CD/record/etc. you've ever bought?

I belonged to a music club briefly and inadvertently became the owner of a Damn Yankees CD. I'll never join a music club again.


29. Do you prefer vinyl or CDs?

Again with the physical media? I've gone completely digital. CDs are much easier to transfer to the computer than vinyl, so I guess I'll have to go with CDs.

4 comments:

David said...

I came this close (holding two fingertips next to each other) to saying Springsteen's Nebraska album is flawless. I love his acoustic stuff.

LutherPunk said...

Is that you or Phil Anselmo's twin?!?!?!?

I still love physical media. There is something I like about hunting for vinyl or going to the CD store and picking over stacks of music.

Of course, i just lost several thousand music tracks when my stupid gateway laptop crashed. No, I didn't back up. Long story.

Andy Kaylor said...

I didn't really look like that, of course. It was Halloween. But how cool is it to be able to go to a Halloween party where people recognize that you've come as Phil Anselmo? The guy in the background who looks like David Koresh really does look like that.

Lee said...

I saw Pantera and Anthrax sometime in the late 90s with Sebastian Bach (solo) as the opening act! Bach also came on during Pantera's set to help Anselmo with some of those high notes.

This was in Wheeling, WVA, by the way. The crowd was ... interesting.