Monday, May 02, 2005

Risky Business

For it is as if a man, going on a journey, summoned his slaves and entrusted his property to them
This parable is like an optical illusion. Is it a candlestick or two faces kissing? Is it a celebration of God's pleasure in his people or a severe warning? It depends on how you look at it.

It's an amazing thing that God has given us blessings and expects us to put them to work and bring an increase. And even if you having been sitting in the pews staring at your feet, it's a simple message. Go! Take chances! God wants you to!

There's not even a question of what would happen if one of the slaves had lost the master's money when trading. He "entrusted his property to them." Apparently he's willing to take that chance. The only rebuke comes from playing it safe.

But there's the flip side of the parable. Do you think the master would have been pleased if the first slave had put four of his talents in a low-interest bearing account and traded with just one? "Here master are your five talents and one and a quarter more."

To whom much has been given, much is expected. How much am I burying in a hole in the ground? This is where this parable made me think back to the parable of the wedding banquet. How seriously am I taking my calling? Do I have all my talents in the market?

I think I need to listen more to the other side of the parable. What am I waiting for?

1 comment:

LutheranChik said...

This is something I always wonder about as well...what am I "burying in the ground"? I often wonder about skills/aptititudes that I've always assumed that I don't have; is that true, or am I simply choosing not to cultivate them? And if that is true, am I mis-/underusing God's good gifts to me?