Saturday, December 03, 2005

First Communion

My oldest daughter is receiving her first communion tomorrow. I'm bursting with excitement and, to my great joy, so is she. Ever since I read St. Thérèse of Lisieux's account in Story of a Soul of how she anticipated her first communion, I've wished that mine could have been something like that.

At the church I grew up in, people began receiving communion after confirmation (or at least it seemed that way to me at the time). My parents didn't go to church, and so I slipped through the cracks and was never confirmed (still haven't been -- don't tell anyone). So my first communion came on a day when I just decided that it would probably be OK. I can't even remember it.

Now I don't have any delusions that my daughter's anticipation is anything like St. Thérèse's. Frankly, it would scare me if it were. But at least she knows what it's about. Plus, the church gave her a copy of Daniel Erlander's wonderful book, A Place For You, which I highly recommend for adults and children alike.

1 comment:

HereISit said...

My first communion came after my confirmation in 8th grade. Back in the day....as the kids now days say...everything was very formal. We memorized the catechism but never even opened the Bible in confirmation class, nor did we ever hear one word about applying Biblical principles or faith to everyday life. Nor did we pray in class or ever learn one thing about praying from the "heart" or with the help of the Holy Spirit.

I remember thinking that I felt special after receiving communion....because I thought I was supposed to feel that way.

I really did feel special the first time I ever helped serve communion in my church, probably about 15 years ago. As each communicant came up to me and I handed them the host/bread, they each looked at me. I felt that our eyes connected and that we could see each other's souls.

I now view the parade of people going forward to receive communion in a new way: they are all sort of humble pilgrims, regardless of how else I might see them or whatever else I might think of them at other times.

One other time I helped serve, tears of deep emotion welled up in my eyes and ran down my face the whole time I was serving. I didn't dare to wipe my nose or eyes for fear of being unhygenic.

I am not normally a weepy person, so this stands out as very special.

I can see why pastors view administering the sacrements as a very special part of their service to their flocks and to the Lord.

May you and your daughter be blessed at this special time.